Education

The first high school in Hot Springs opened its doors in the fall of 1894 for about 40 students. Today, the building still sits atop the hill overlooking the town and is now home to the Pioneer Museum.

Over the years, as the school’s needs outgrew its meager ten rooms, the school board made the decision to purchase new quarters from the Black Hills College just across the canyon on the opposite hill. Then, in 1924, the old college building burned and plans were made to construct a new, modern building the following year. The first graduating class included four boys and one girl, but by 1946, the school was boasting 50 graduates.
IndexHot Springs School District
Bethesda Lutheran School (PK-5)

Hot Springs School District
1609 University Avenue
605-745-4145

Bethesda Lutheran School (PK-5)
1537 Baltimore Avenue
605-745-6676