Building Permits

The City’s Building and Code Official is responsible for ensuring building is being done properly and to code. The City adopted the International Building Code and all subsequent addendums.

For an existing residence PERMITS ARE REQUIRED for the following projects:

  • Roofing or Reroofing
  • Constructing an addition or reconstructing a porch/deck
  • Window and door replacement where the opening is altered or the means of egress is altered
  • Erecting a carport, shed or other accessory structure (including roofed gazebos)
  • Fencing over 7 feet in height
  • Retaining walls over 18 inches in height

You will NOT need a permit for:

  • Roofing work 60 square feet or less that covers an unenclosed space
  • Window replacement with exact size with no framing modifications
  • Siding repair or replacement
  • Replacing rotten deck boards or members, or decks not exceeding 200 square feet and does not have a roof system connected to it, or unenclosed decks less than 30 inches above grade at any point having without an attached roof.
  • General upkeep and maintenance of a structure (paint, replacement of rotten non-structural wood, gutters/downspouts, caulking, pointing, stone veneers etc.)
  • Fencing under 7 feet height
  • Retaining walls less than 18 inches in height
  • General landscaping to include patios, trellises, open lattice gazebos
The basic residential construction items go through a work scope review and inspection process to ensure the work is being done properly and that the structure meets building codes.

  • Any owner or owner's agent who intends to construct, enlarge, alter, repair, move, demolish or change the occupancy of a building or structure, or to erect, install, enlarge, repair, remove, convert or replace any gas or mechanical system, the installation of which is regulated by this code, or cause such work to be performed, shall first make application to the building official and obtain the required permit. 
  • Permits for electrical or plumbing work are obtained through the State.
  • HUD Requirements - for new previously unsited mobile home units, a HUD inspection must be performed by a licensed mobile home inspector.  All information is found on link attached.
  • The various building permit types are accessed below:
Doc app

Document Center

The Document Center provides easy access to public documents. Click on one of the categories below to see related documents or use the search function.

Categories always sorted by seq (sub-categories sorted within each category)
Documents sorted by SEQ in Ascending Order within category

Building Permits Applications11 documents

  • Building Permit Fee Schedule
    document seq 0.00
  • Set-Back Requirements
    document seq 0.00
  • Building Permit Application
    document seq 0.00
  • Demolition Permit Application
    document seq 0.00
  • Excavation and Tapping Application
    document seq 0.00
  • Manufactured Steel Carport Permit Application
    document seq 0.00
  • Mobile Home Permit Application
    document seq 0.00
    (Mobile homes require a permit whether they are being moved into town or from place to place within the city limits)
  • Roofing Permit Application
    document seq 0.00
  • Sidewalk/Curb/Gutter Permit Application
    document seq 0.00
  • Sign Permit Application
    document seq 0.00
  • Site Development Application
    document seq 0.00